POSITION SUMMARY: The Bereavement Coordinator must have clear
understanding of Title 22 and the Conditions of Participation for
the hospice bereavement program requirement. The Bereavement
Coordinator works in conjunction with the Director of Bereavement
and Volunteer Services and the interdisciplinary team to administer
a program of grief counseling and support services for survivors of
patients served by Hospice. Responsible for collection of data
statistics, documentations and quality assurance. Actively
participates in coordinating all aspects of Hospice Bereavement
Care and performance improvements.
REPORTS TO: Director of Bereavement Services and/or
SUPERVISES: Bereavement Data Entry Position, Bereavement
Administrative Assistant, under the instruction of the Director of
Education: High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree
Experience: Experienced in a leadership role with the ability to
motivate others to work as a team.
Core Competencies: Excellent clerical, oral, written and
computer communication skills. Detail oriented with ability to
follow through in a thorough, professional manner.
Other: Valid California driver's license and auto insurance
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Works closely with the Director of Bereavement Services who
organizes and directs all services and functions of bereavement
2. Implements bereavement program and services as directed by
the Director of Bereavement services.
3. Assures that requirements and standards are maintained by all
team members including productivity standards.
4. Ensure that all written bereavement medical records
maintained in an organized manner and compliance with all
5. Participates in orientation of new employees and/or
volunteers in the bereavement department.
6. Assists in providing consultation and education to the
community to increase knowledge related to hospice bereavement
department and serves as information and education resource person
to community and hospice personnel including volunteers as
7. Serves as a resource and support system to the staff in
problem solving and determines appropriate intervention.
8. Conducts bereavement assessments, develops plans of care in
conjunction with the IDT and documents all bereavement activities
under the supervision of Director of Bereavement Services.
9. Tracks bereavement assessments, plans and documentation
provided by the IDT.
10. Responsible for coordination of effective documentation
appropriately for active bereavement file.
11. May makes initial follow up bereavement call to bereaved
families assessed as a low to moderate or moderate risk level.
12. Oversees retrieval of address for bereaved families with
insufficient mailing information.
13. Responsible for generating and maintaining statistics of the
bereavement quality assessment and quality improvement.
14. Assist Director of Bereavement Services in coordinating,
organizing and preparing for Annual Memorial Service.
15. Works directly with Volunteer Coordinator.
16. Participates in community and volunteer education
17. Oversees bereavement follow-up by patient care staff and
18. Prepares service reports as requested by management.
19. Investigates problems and takes corrective action that falls
within the positions job description.
20. Attends and participates in in-services, staff meetings and
21. Completes all documentation in an accurate and legible
22. Maintains and evaluates the bereavement program, including
surveys in compliance with policy, procedure and regulations.
23. All other permanent job duties as needed and directed.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM